Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

American Idol, Top 8

It's been awhile since I had an American Idol post, but I couldn't let Jennifer Lopez night go without comment. Most fascinating is the idea that Jennifer Lopez is coaching others on singing. But that's okay, because I love J. Lo. (except for the fur).

Melinda. "Sway." Once again, Melinda sounds good, but boring. It is nice that she never oversings, but she can get tedious. She looked really good--good hair for her and she looked liked she has dropped quite a few pounds. Gobo loved her.

LaKisha. "Conga." She is wearing an absolutely terrible dress--back fat is all over the place. I couldn't even really concentrate on the song. It wasn't a vocal challenge, and it wasn't all that exciting. Simon criticized her singing, but since I couldn't keep my eyes off of her back fat, I have no idea whether I agree with him.

Chris. "Smooth." I don't understand the credit he gets from the judges. I thought it was pretty awful. The guitarist stole the show and Jennifer Lopez must have been right that the song was too low for him, because even taking it up a step it was still too low for him.

Haley. "Turn the Beat Around." Absolutely terrible. There was nothing good about the performance. The backup singer sounded better than she did. And her clothes weren't even good. She clearly listened to Simon telling her she had great legs, because now she's wearing shorts that are way too short. And her hair and makeup sucked too.

Phil. "Maria, Maria." Jennifer Lopez says "goose pimples." I hate that. They are goose bumps. Regardless, I didn't get them from Phil's performance. It was really boring, and his voice cracked. The only good thing I can say about it is that it was better than Haley.

Jordin. "Rhythm is Gonna Get You." Is Gloria Estefan the only person who sings Latin songs? This is the third one of the night. I thought it was fine, but not that great. Simon is right when he says there is nothing stunning about the night, but the problem is that there is nothing stunning about the entire season.

Blake. "I Need to Know." His dancing just doesn't fit the Latin vibe at all. It was distracting. Nor is his voice even close to as good as Marc Anthony's. The end of the song wasn't bad, though.

Sanjaya. "Mas Que Nada." It's hysterical that they allowed Sanjaya to end the night. Was he has bad as he has been in other songs? No. Was he good? No. And oh my god, the facial hair. Did he decide he had exhausted the possibilities with the hair on his head and decided to style that on his face instead?

My guess for the bottom three: Haley, Phil and LaKisha or Melinda (upset!). Going home: I'm guessing Haley, but wouldn't be surprised if we see one of the front runners sent home in a surprise.

Labels: ,