Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Monday, November 06, 2006

Tomorrow's Big Event

No, not election day (although please vote), but that season 1 of 90210 and Melrose Place are being released on DVD. And conveniently, they are being sold together in a "the good, the bad, & the beautiful pack."

I will admit (because a la Jerry I would fail a lie detector if I claimed otherwise) that I watched these shows back in the day. They offer such memories of that time we call the 90s. When 90210 began, the episodes were like a one hour Facts of Life offering life lessons for Brandon and Brenda, but the show quickly turned into pure and very amusing schlock. And we watched and debated. Heck, when I was a senior at a fine university in New England, I spent one lunch arguing with a friend whether Dylan's father was still alive--I was right, he was! The kids then graduated from high school weeks before my college graduation, leading to chants of "Donna Martin Graduates" at my graduation. Heck, my college roommate had a 90210 calendar (for kitsch value); he admitted he was extra happy during Steve Sanders month.

As for MP, my favorite memory occurred when I was living in LA a decade ago. I was living for the summer in the Hollywood Hills and discovered that two doors from our house was the home of Dr. Peter Burns. A few weeks later, we discovered not only that MP was filming at that house, but they wanted to use our backyard, which overlooked downtown LA. So not only did I get to briefly meet Heather Locklear and Jack Wagner, but I witnessed Billy and Samantha on their big date (and got to hang out with the noted Thespian, Andrew Shue, and Brooke Langton). Oh what fond, fond memories. And long live Joe E. Tata.

1 Comments:

Blogger Red Fraggle said...

I think I know what I'm getting Gobo for his birthday in a few weeks!

I love both 90210 and Melrose. In fact, last year I decided to watch every single episode of Melrose, in order (they rerun them on SoapNet). A truly great decision. That show really stands up to the test of time.

11/06/2006 12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home