Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Monday, August 21, 2006

Fall TV Preview: Monday

Oh my gosh. It turns out that the fall TV season is starting tonight with the premieres of Prison Break and Vanished on Fox. Here’s the Monday lineup:

8 pm: Wife Swap (ABC), The Class (CBS), Deal or No Deal (NBC), Prison Break (Fox), 7th Heaven (CW)

8:30 pm: How I Met Your Mother (CBS)

9 pm: The Bachelor (ABC), Two and a Half Men (CBS), Heroes (NBC), Vanished (Fox), Runaway (CW)

9:30 pm: The New Adventures of Old Christine (CBS)

10 pm: What about Brian? (ABC), CSI Miami (CBS), Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (NBC)

Hmm, this is a little tougher. At 8 o’clock last year, I TiVoed Prison Break, but never really felt like watching it. It’s the kind of show where I want to know what happens but I don’t really want to invest the time in actually watching it. I think I’ll just save myself 58 minutes and read the recaplet on TWOP. What will take its place? Alan Sepinwall really likes How I Met Your Mother, and it’s got Doogie. Maybe I’ll give that a try. The Class looks like a standard-issue sitcom set in a school though.

At 9 o’clock, it’s a choice among three new shows: Heroes, about people all over the world who develop super powers overnight; Vanished, about a missing senator’s wife and the conspiracy that surrounds her disappearance; and Runaway, starring Donnie Wahlberg, about a family that goes undercover in Iowa after the father is framed for murder by -- you guessed it -- a shadowy conspiracy. I want to like this, remniscent as it is of Running on Empty starring River Phoenix, but Televisionary describes it as “7th Heaven on the run.” Ouch. I’m leaning toward Heroes. But what about Christine -- another Sepinwall favorite? Does anyone watch that?

At 10, I’ll be watching Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, the new Aaron Sorkin show. I watched What about Brian? for awhile in the spring until I realized that I did not care about any of the characters.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Red Fraggle said...

I watch, and really like, Old Christine. It's a classic sitcom and Julia Louis-Dreyfus is likable in it.

8/21/2006 5:36 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

I'm still a CSI: Miami fan. David Caruso is set to inherit the throne of William Shatner in the overacting department and I have to say I enjoy it. Other than that, I did watch watch the season premiere of Prison Break which was interesting enough, but like Bailey I can't ever get really excited about it.

8/22/2006 3:42 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

We didn't watch anything last night, but usually we just catch the CBS comedies. I liked Old Christine, and frankly, Two and a Half Men. And Doogie does make the How I Met Your Mother show zing along nicely.

I guess I'll watch the Sunset Strip thing, but I'll be happier when Medium to that slot. I don't trust Sorkin to last more than two seasons, and I'm wary of getting invested in his shows because of that. He's burned me twice already.

8/22/2006 9:38 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

How I Met Your Mother is the first sitcom I've watched regularly in about six years (since the demise of Sports Night, really, which was pure genius) and I enjoy the heck out of it.

I just returned the pilot of Studio 60 to Netflix after having watched it several times, and here are my quick impressions: Matthew Perry absolutely owns his role. Amanda Peet will be surprisingly good. Brad Whitford will have some work to do to make us forget Josh, but I have faith.

8/22/2006 6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home