Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

American Idol: Top 8

Sorry for the late post--I was on an airplane during Idol last night. Looks like the theme was inspirational songs. Bailey takes exception with the fact that most of the songs sung are not, in fact, inspirational. Here we go:

Michael Johns. "Dream On." What is up with the stupid kerchiefs/scarves/ascots he wears? I didn't like it. The falsetto was absolutely horrendous, and it sounded like he started it a few bars too early, making the end of the song really odd. Did anyone else notice?

Syesha Mercado. "I Believe." I have never liked this song--not from the first time they debuted it in season three. Gobo just asked if they can just ban the song from Idol. But I'm guessing since it was written for the show, that's not possible. I thought Syesha sounded like she was straining throughout the entire song, and the chorus had too many singers, which was overpowering. Oh, and Paula's boobs are ridiculous this week. That outfit has to be really painful.

Jason Cook. "Over the Rainbow." Jason and the ukelele are a comical-looking combination. The uke just looks so tiny. I thought he sounded pretty good, except when he sang those few high notes, which I thought sounded stupid. So I'm not as enamored as the judges, but I did like it.

Kristy Lee Cook. Or, as Gobo calls her "How Is She Still In It?" I know that Martina McBride is considered a great country artist, but are lines like "God is great, but sometimes love ain't good" considered quality? I hope not. As for Kristy, I thought she sounded better than she ever had before. Kristy confuses me, because she was horrid so early in the first rounds, but now she can suddenly sing. I don't get it.

David Cook. "We Are All Innocent." What a horribly awkward song. The cadence is weird, the first verse with the high notes on the word "I" were odd, and I really hated it. This was a definite down night for our front runner.

Carly Smithson. "Show Must Go On." I love, love, love Queen, but even I think this is not one of their strongest songs. I don't really get the choice here--it isn't a very melodic. And I feel a phoniness when Carly sings a song like this. Like she is trying to be a rock star, but she has no real passion. (Uh oh, Paula said much the same thing!) She sounded okay through much of the song, but I didn't like the end.

David Archuleta. "Angels." My guess was that David would choose Josh Groban's "You Raise Me Up" for inspirational week, but I was wrong. I have never heard this song before, and you all know how I feel about David. But are we surprised to see David do well on inspirational night? Of course not. That's absolutely what he's about. But is there really a market out there for an album by a 17 year old who sings treacly inspirational songs? I don't think so.

Brooke White. "You've Got A Friend." What a song choice shock! But I really love Brooke, and when she sings it makes me happy. Was it super exciting? No. Was it more of the same? Yes. But I love how genuine Brooke is when she sings. I do wish she had done the piano herself, however.

In all, a pretty tepid night.
Best of the night: Brooke, Jason Castro.
Worst of the Night: Michael Johns.
Going home: Syesha. (But wouldn't it be amazing if there was a wonderful, wonderful upset and David Archuleta went home? I do have a small fear Brooke could be in trouble.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home