Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Monday, June 04, 2007

Not All That It's Knocked Up To Be

On Friday night, Mrs. Bartender and I went to see Knocked Up. I needed a happy movie to take my mind off of certain things, and in that the movie succeeded. However, the raves it has gotten from certain reviewers--A.O Scott in the Times and Entertainment Weekly--were just over the top. The movie was entertaining, had a number of good laughs, but it is not a great film. Both of us enjoyed The 40-Year Old Virgin more, and a good amount of this film was predictable. Don't get me wrong, there are some very funny moments, and with Isaac, Jr., having been born just over a year ago, there were a number of scenes we could really relate to. However, my advice is that this is not a must see movie even if you won't regret going to see it.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Corina said...

I disagree! I thought Knocked Up was great. Some of the situations made me a little uncomfortable, i.e. the male lead is such an incredible loser (but sweet!) that it's horribly embarassing, but I thought it was very well written, acted, and directed. It didn't give me any deep belly laughs, but I don't think it was going for them. I think it falls more toward the serious relationship-type movie end of the dramatic spectrum than did 40 Year-Old Virgin, but that actually made me like it more.

6/06/2007 4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home