Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Golden Globe thoughts



I watched The Devil Wears Prada this weekend, and Meryl Streep looked amazing. The clothes she wore were stylish, figure-flattering and age-appropriate. And her hair was always styled. So why does she have so much trouble looking good at awards shows? Can't she just hire the stylist from The Devil Wears Prada and have him dress her for every awards show from now until the future? Hell, the style of clothing wouldn't even have to change all that much. In the movie, they put her in what appears to be her favorite style, a dress with a wide v-neck, but instead of making her look larger, as she did at the Globes last night (and at almost every awards show I have seen her at), it looked sleek and slimming.

For the first hour of the awards I kept thinking that the camera was panning over Neve Campbell, and I couldn't understand why Neve was at the awards, let alone getting camera time. Then I realized it was actually America Ferrara. Oops. Speaking of America, I thought she looked really cute (although I wonder if the cap sleeve was the best choice--as a friend who used to work in product development at the Gap used to say, "cap sleeves are not democratic"). And her speech was heartfelt. But were all of those actresses in the audience really crying along with her? Were they all that moved? Sure, Salma Hayek works with America, so maybe her tears make sense. But Teri Hatcher? And Felicity Huffman? Do they really care that much? I'm skeptical.

What were those little blue puzzle piece type pins that Steve Carrell, Alec Baldwin and others were wearing all about?

I was really happy that Sascha Baron Cohen went to the show as himself, rather than Borat. I had discussed this with Isaac and the entire Bartender family this weekend, and although I'm sure he would have been very funny as Borat, accepting the award in character would make the accomplishment seem like it didn't really mean anything. By accepting as himself people actually see how very different Cohen is from his character. And he managed to be really funny regardless.

Can everyone stop talking about Dreamgirls as a serious Best Picture contender for the Oscars? It was an okay film, but certainly nothing special, and it plodded along. It had two great performances (Jennifer Hudson and Eddie Murphy) and some amazing Diana Ross-like costumes for Beyonce at the end of the film. But other than that, it really wasn't that great.

Am I naive when I think that Kyra Sedgwick and Kevin Bacon look like they are really a happy couple?

Was this the first time we have seen Joaquin Phoenix since Oscar night last year? I think so.

My favorite moment of the night was probably when Jeremy Irons won his best supporting actor in TV award and went over to Kevin Connolly on his way up to the stage. Kevin made some hand gestures which clearly said "no, you have the wrong guy, it's not me you just beat, it's this guy over here," at which point Irons shook Jeremy Piven's hand. Classic.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Bailey Quarters said...

I thought that Meryl Streep's dress for the Oscars last year was great. One of the best.

1/18/2007 12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home