Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Friday, June 23, 2006

Olbermann spanks O'Reilly


Ever since I first started watching SportsCenter back in college, I have thought that Keith Olbermann was the best. Whenever SportsCenter was not hosted by the A Team--Olbermann and Dan Patrick--it just wasn't the same. Keith didn't just know sports, he was quite erudite and his references and catch phrases were hysterical. (Much more thought out than lines like "Boo-yah.") He coined phrases such as "for those of you scoring at home or even if you're by yourself" and "premature jocularity." A particular favorite was after a particular pass was just out of reach of Bucs tight end Burt Emmanuel, Olbermann commented, "And Emmanuel . . . Can't [pronouned Kant for those who don't get it]."

When Olbermann left the Worldwide Leader after a dispute with the ESPN brass, I was quite disppointed. Over the past decade, he has jumped from job to job, focusing more on real news (or too often the scandal du jour (see Lewinsky, Monica)) than sports. I have watched him from time to time including when I am able, the hour he spends each week with Dan Patrick on Patrick's radio show.

While I have missed much of what he is currently doing, one thing in particular I have enjoyed is his skewering of Bill O'Reilly. Easy game, to be sure, but someone has to do it. And this clip shows Keith (and Bill) at their best. Hat tip, Andrew.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bailey Quarters said...

This does not hold a candle to to this little episode, but I wrote O'Reilly off for good when I saw him say something to the effect of: It is Economics 101 that you don't spend your way out of a recession.

For some reason, this was a very clarifying moment for me. It made it obvious that he either has never heard of John Maynard Keynes, but nevertheless feels comfortable pontificating about fiscal policy. Or -- what I think is more likely the case -- he does not care about the truth.

6/23/2006 2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home